What is Automation?
Automation allows you to automate tasks on remote services, servers, applications, and hardware. It removes the need to manually perform repetitive or rules-based tasks. It can streamline the way IT operates and shift tedious administration tasks away from people in order to allow them to focus on higher-value work. Since the automated processes are recorded, management can review these events to determine if there are areas where further improvement can and should be made. Not only does Automation save your organization a significant amount of money in terms of operating costs, but it also frees up service desk analysts to focus their efforts on more mission-critical tasks such as assisting customers on complex issues and customer satisfaction.
Benefits of Automation
Following are the benefits of automation:
- Ensures consistency in Service Delivery
- Reduces the risk of human error
- Speeds up the execution and completion of processes
- Empowers the first line of support to perform more complex tasks
Systems that can be automated
Automation can automate tasks such as employee onboarding, manage user access rights, server management, and more. For example, you can use Directory and Mail Server operations provided out-of-the-box to set up network accounts and mailboxes for new employees. Some examples where Automation allows you to integrate with external systems is:
- Any system that allows Web Services (SOAP and REST)
- Any system accessible from a command line (UNIX, SSH, and more)
- Provisioning virtual systems on any Cloud platform such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, and more
- File system SFTP
Activate Automation add-on
Automation is an optional add-on and is a separate subscription from the rest of Intelligent Service Management licenses. Automation is licensed based on workflow executions.
To purchase a subscription, contact your Serviceaide account manager. The account manager can arrange to have the add-on activated for your organization's production and staging instances, generally within a few days.
You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a trial.
How Automation works
Following is a brief overview of how automation works:
- The workflow initiates when an end user initiates a conversation in Luma which is tied to an Automation Workflow.
- Based on the parameters in the ticket, the appropriate matching skill is invoked.
- The skill collects the data required to execute the task from the end user.
- The skill fulfillment is executed through the automation action.
- The Automation workflow performs intelligent workflow driven tasks.
- Based on the status of the task, the Automation workflow updates the status of the tasks in the conversation interface.
Configure an Automation Workflow
Out-of-the-box Automation Operations and Workflows
Create an Automation Workflow
Test your Automation Workflow
Execute an Automation Service from a Skill
Automation Workflow Designer